Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What's your status?

Psalm 19:14 has been a long time favorite verse of mine. It says, "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Last week in our youth group girl's Bible study we spent some time discussing what some of our greatest temptations are. I shared that one of my greatest struggles are my words: careless words, unkind words, words of gossip... It's a temptation I have to continually be aware of, safe guard myself from and when I fail ask forgiveness for. But with our words is a deeper root issue, an attitude of the heart. Our words are the fruit of our hearts.


Jesus addressed this issue very seriously in Matthew 12:33-37.
33 “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. 34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
As the meditation of my heart is upon the Word of God, the words out of my mouth become much more pleasing to the Lord.

I want to share this devotional "The Blogger's Prayer" from Planet Wisdom today because the author hit it right on the mark.

I was challenged after our Bible study last week to memorize more scripture. My first verse to memorize is Romans 10:17 "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." I want God's Word to be what is continually in my mind and heart. When I go to speak I want His Word to be what flows out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment