Sunday, July 4, 2010

Don't be in Such a Hurry...

All of my life I've waited to be an "adult". I thought it was going to be the coolest thing in the world! However, the older I get the more I realize it's not as glamorous as I once thought it'd be. One thing that pointed this out to me this week was at when one of my nanny girls got strep throat and came home with the delicious, pink bubble gum medicine. After being with her all week I too came down with strep and was looking forward to the medicine; I remembered loving it when I was young! I knew I had it when I went to the doctor, but was in for a sad outcome when the doctor gave me my prescription: pills. Suddenly, I wished I could be 4 years old again. Things seemed easier then.

Looking back these past few years I realize that I should have just been patient and been content with where I was in life. But so often in my life I'm wishing I was somewhere else: graduated, married, settled down, etc. I've complained that I'm always just waiting. But God has showed me time and time again in His Word where He tells His children to wait.

Micah 7:7 says, "But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me." God reassures us that when we wait patiently in Him, He will hear us.

Are you waiting for something right now? Whatever it may be, God has a perfect plan. Psalm 130: 5 says, "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His Word I hope." Find peace in His Word, find strength in His joy. (Neh 8:10) God is looking forward to blessing you with your desires, and is excited to make everything work together for good in your life.

As the old song goes, "Have patience, have patience, don't be in such a hurry. When you get inpatient, you only start to worry!" Lay your anxieties down at the feet of Christ and take Philippians 4:6-7 as your comfort.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you! I used to think that owning a house would be great. To a certain point, it is great, but then there were all of the water problems and a seemingly ever growing fix-it list that reminds me of the cost of adulthood. Fun fun. I think the same thing can be said of our walks with Jesus too. We think of how great it would be to be used by Him in the future and neglect to seek how He wants to use us right now. However, I would definitely say that it is a good thing spiritually to long for what is to come in Christ :)

    ReplyDelete