Monday, February 6, 2012

When - Not If

I woke up with a heavy heart this morning. It's been a rough week here in Beulah. On Tuesday night a shooting occurred, resulting in the death of one young man and injury of another. Last night, a student who was out skateboarding was a hit by a vehicle; he passed away early this morning. Two tragic events in less than a week is enough to shake up any town . . . especially a small town like Beulah. And even though I didn't know those involved in either incident personally, my heart is weighed down with grief -- grief for those who lost a son, a brother, a friend. Once again, it seems like Satan is winning.

This morning as I sat down with my bowl of oatmeal, Bible, and heavy heart, I was encouraged by the LORD's promises in Isaiah 43:1-5:
"But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel, 'Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior . . . Since you are precious in My sight, since you are honored and I love you . . . Do not fear, for I am with you.'" 
I was struck once again with the truth that the LORD doesn't say if - "If you pass through the waters . . . if you pass through the rivers . . . if you walk through the fire." He said when. "When you pass through the waters . . . when you pass through the rivers . . . when you walk through the fire." Jesus promised tribulation during our time here on earth (John 16:33), so it shouldn't surprise us when awful things happen. Yet, as those who trust in Him, we have confidence that the LORD is with us through every trial and tribulation - no matter how difficult, no matter how tragic, no matter how impossible it seems to cope. Praise the LORD He doesn't leave us when the 'going gets tough'.
"'Do not fear, for I am with you; do not look anxiously about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'" - Isaiah 40:10
Through the events of this last week, I was also struck with the urgency we as believers must have to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with those around us. Life is short -- sometimes too short. And it can come to an end so quickly, so unexpectedly. But this life is not the end; in fact, it's only a small portion of our existence. We, along with those we work with, learn with, drive the freeways with and buy groceries from, all have eternal soul and will spend eternity somewhere. As believers, we have the best news ever to share with them - as well as a heavy responsibility. May we be found faithful stewards of the grace of God, sharing it with those we encounter every day . . .and may we never fall into the lie of believing we can tell them about Jesus "later". Later may to be late - either for us or for them.
"Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God." - 1 Corinthians 4:1 
"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:15-16 (emphasis added)


No comments:

Post a Comment