Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tongue Wars

"So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!...From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so." James 3:5, 10

This week has been tongue boot camp. Running through an obstacle course of various tongue tests--each challenge was a new opportunity to strengthen (and prove) my tongue's spiritual fortitude. As I sat, lips pursed, mind reeling with unkind words, I struggled to maintain self-control. How difficult to respond in the spirit when the flesh is ablaze with emotion!

The following are a few means the Lord uses to 'tone' my tongue. I pray you will put a few of them to practice this week when you encounter your next tongue-test.
  1. Ask the Lord to "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!" (Ps. 141:3)
  2. Take a breather. Sometimes stepping away from the situation, or simply silence, allows emotions to cool and gives you an opportunity to strengthen your spirit.
  3. Spend time with the Prince of Peace. Pray. Grab your Bible (ahem, smartphone with Bible app=always on you) and read His word. His "word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" (Ps. 119:105), which will guide your response/words in difficult situations.
  4. Take the Saul approach and listen to peaceful music. "And whenever the harmful spirit from God was upon Saul, David took the lyre and played it with his hand. So Saul was refreshed and was well, and the harmful spirit departed from him." I Sam. 16:23 (This really works!)
  5. Make a list of "tongue-tamer" verses (Proverbs is FULL of them!) and commit them to memory. The Holy Spirit will bring them to the forefront of your mind when you most need them.
May we seek to glorify the Lord with our speech. And may the world know we are Christians... by our loving speech.

"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." James 3:17,1

No comments:

Post a Comment