Thursday, May 26, 2011

Passion 2011 Part Two

For this second installment of sharing about my experience at Passion 2011 I would like to expound upon the aspect of worship there.




I’ll start by saying that my time worshiping God at Passion was transformational! In the last few months prior to attending Passion, through my own busyness and lack of focus, I had forgotten what worship is all about. That is, exalting and lifting high our King of Kings, Lord of Lords, the Most High God! Worship isn’t about the ‘good’ feeling that I receive. It’s about no matter what I feel, declaring that God is worth it all.



At Passion I had abundant opportunity to do exactly that. As I write that, it’s just words on a page, but as I think back to those times of worship at Passion I remember what it felt like to put aside what I felt, thought, wanted, needed, feared, etc. to give every ounce of my strength and existence into the exaltation of my God, the God of the universe! With 10,000+ (yes, ten thousand plus!) people singing around me, with me, unto God for His glory!



Passion 2011 took place in a dome in Fort Worth Texas. It was dark except for the stage lighting and the sound was turned to the point that it felt as though the worship leaders were leading me and no one else. It was personal. But at the same time I could hear the sound of everyone in the dome singing together! This environment enabled me to break free of my thoughts concerning the others around me and gave me the feeling that it was just me and God. I had the freedom to sing, shout, clap, dance, jump, sit, cry, etc. And I couldn’t tell if those around me even took notice. This is what worship should be. Giving adoration to God, without the fear of offending others with style or preference.



It was an incredible experience! As I stated earlier, it was transformational! Since returning from the Passion conference, this feeling of freedom in worship, and the importance of it, has stuck with me. Not to the degree that I am a distraction to others worshiping around me in my local congregation! But, I realize now in a way that I didn’t before that it’s just me and God. It’s to be all about Him, and praising Him for all that He is!



There is an aspect though of worshiping God in song that isn’t just about the individual and our Maker. And it was because of the number of people at Passion that I realized this. As we have opportunity to sing to our Savior in groups with fellow believers, it serves as testimony to one another of His faithfulness. I knew this in theory before, and had even experienced it in small scale prior to Passion. But there in Texas, singing with 10,000+ others about the God of the universe, drove it home in a way that I will never forget! I felt like I caught a glimpse of heaven as we all sang out at the top of our lungs!



And so as you sing in your local churches remember who you’re singing to, why you are singing to Him, and the testimony that it may be to those who join in worship with you!

By Micah Horneman

No comments:

Post a Comment