Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Out of Focus

My first photo assignment for my black and white photography class was line. Armed with two rolls of film and a borrowed slr film camera I hit the Arch Bridge and Loring Park in Minneapolis, MN. These areas of Minneapolis are full of visual interest and I spent hours wandering around capturing both big and small aspects of line. During my photo shoot, in the back of my mind something seemed off. It wasn't a nagging feeling, more of a tingling that came and went, more subconscious thought than anything else.

I developed my film, created my contact sheets, showed them to my teacher, set up my enlarger and went to work making my prints. It was then that little thing that had felt off began to become apparent.

I had forgotten to focus every single picture on both rolls of film.

I lucked out with a few of the photos that happened to be in sort of in focus or had a portion of the image in focus, but not because I intended to. My photos for that assignment were passable. Had I focused them even just a little I would have had some great shots. I learned a lesson for the rest of that class. One thing I never forgot with my other projects was to focus because I knew what a disaster my photographs would be if I didn't.

I recently watch the testimony of Brian "Head" Welch, former guitarist for Korn. He said, "My dream came true. Way more than I dreamt about. I, got, made more money. I played bigger shows. I mean houses, cars... I tried drugs. I tried sex. I tried everything to try to get pleasure out of this life. And I thought that I could fulfill my life with all this stuff. By having my dream come true and it came true, but it didn't fulfill it. When Christ came in, that feeling, He gives you the gift of understanding life. Which is everything was created for Christ, and by Him. We were created to be with him and it's the most incredible feeling because you're where you belong. And contentment is given to you in life, cuz you dont have to look anywhere else and you're exactly where you need to be. The question about life is answered."

When he said "you dont have to look anywhere else" I immediately thought of Hebrews 12. I reference these verses often, probably because I turn to them so frequently. We've used them often on this blog too. In the past 3 years Hebrews 12:1-3 have become life verses for me because I find them so fundamental to faith in Christ.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3 (New International Version, ©2011)

That phrase, fixing our eyes on Jesus always stands out to me. The Message says "Keep your eyes on Jesus" and ESV "looking to Jesus."

The focal point is Focus on Jesus.

William Wilberforce, in his book Real Christianity, spent the better part of a chapter expanding on, "Looking unto Jesus." He says, "We are called to fix our gaze on Jesus, the originator and the One who brings all things to completion, who endured the shame and suffering of the cross for the greater goal of the joy the Father offered (see Heb 12:2). We look beyond the suffering of the cross to the glory Jesus now enjoys, having once again taken His place in the presence of the Father. There in His glory, His concern is ever for our progress in our relationship with Him." (I would recommend reading this book because I pretty much want to quote the whole thing. It's that good.)

In 6th grade when I got glasses for the first time. Before handing me my brand new pair of glasses, the technician asked me to read the sign at the back of the store. A little bemused I asked, "What sign?" Then I put the glasses on and saw the HUGE department sign hanging in the back of the store.

Like my unfocused photographs, a life out of focus is a disaster. When in focus life suddenly has the potential to be amazing. That's the difference a life in focus in Christ makes. Like putting on a pair of glasses things become clear. Properly presented. Rightly represented. We see things we didn't even know were there. We see what we didn't even know we were missing.

Brian's testimony reminds me of that. His life was out of focus and He tried everything to find fulfillment in life. With Christ, with our eyes fixed on Jesus, we don't have to look anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment