Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunny Sundays are Scrumptious!

I have a hard time keeping indoors while the sun is out on a warm, lazy afternoon. While enjoying the tenderness of the sun on my face as I read one of my favorite books again, I saw a lovely bird hopping through the fresh, green grass with a juicy worm in it's mouth. This reminded me of something that God has been pulling me through this week.

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." ~Matthew 6:25-34

As I think of what occupies the majority of my mind, it’s the future. I’m constantly wondering what will happen, will I have enough money, how am I going to handle everything, etc. I use to blame this on my mom— as you have not met a worrywart if you haven’t met her; however, now I realize that every one of us has a tendency to worry. We like to be in control, especially when it comes to areas in our own life that we assume we ought to have control over. We take things into our own hands and believe we know what’s best.

How different do you think we’d be if we truly sought the kingdom of God first? His will for our lives should be our aim and purpose for living each day, along with giving Him the praise His holiness deserves. How foolish of us to worry about such tedious, trivial things that pass like the flowers of the fields; yet we still worry.

How does this relate to my feathery friend frolicking about, you ask? (I may have adoration for alliterations… J) What are the chances this bird had been worrying about food? The answer is zero. If birds know that God will provide for them, are we really going to question His provision in every area of our lives? I feel hypocritical even writing about this, because I am nobody to preach on the subject, but I think we all need to sit back and relax— God has provided for us in the past, He will remain faithful and provide again. It’s in His nature.


As Benjamin Franklin once said, “Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.” I don’t know about you, but I’m going back outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment