Friday, May 14, 2010

Encouragement

Hey guys
Not only did I remember this week, but I actually posted early! What a good deal. So I've been working long (11 hour) days for the last couple weeks, and I was thinking about all the golfing I've been missing. This had me discouraged - naturally - so I decided to spin my misfortune into a blog post. Discouragement happens; if you manage to avoid it, you're probably the only person to do so. But the deal with discouragement is that we have a way through it, every time. The way is - you guessed it - God. The Bible is filled with verses of how we can lean on God, and trust him to carry us through the rough spots. A couple verses off the top of my head include Psalm 55:22 (Cast your cares upon the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall) and Psalm 23:4 (Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.). I think my favorite, though is Isaiah 40:31 - but those who hope in the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. I believe these verses are quite straightforward. When things are getting a little shaky, and you're starting to get down, cast your cares on the Lord (also 1 Peter 5:7) and together you'll be able to get through the rough stuff. The homework assignment for this week: share your favorite verse of the style above with me, and also go play a round of golf and think of me while you do :)
Until next week
Matt

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement Matt! A favorite verse of mine is Deuteronomy 31:6 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

    As for playing golf... well I went to a driving range once and that put an end to my golfing career. Hope you get to go out on the green soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yep that is a good verse... I think your experience with golf might be fairly common haha... Hopefully I can make it out Sunday after church

    ReplyDelete