Thursday, November 21, 2013

Beauty in the Word "Yet"

Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's;
he makes me tread on my high places.

YHWH. God of the Covenant. God of Promise. Though nothing is going well, still I will rejoice in the LORD. Still I will hope in Him, because He is my joy and my strength, and He has promised. 

These words were written by Habakkuk. This book amongst the Minor Prophets begins with a dialogue between the prophet and God, as Habakkuk complains and despairs about the state of God's people. The book is sprinkled with gems such, "the righteous shall live by faith" and "for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD as the waters cover the sea". 

Habakkuk was from Judah. The last spiritual leader that the nation had was King Josiah, and since then the people were just as wicked as the northern part of Israel. Habakkuk was crying out to God to bring justice and mercy to the land once more, but God was going to do it in a surprising fashion. God declared that He was going to use another wicked nation to bring judgement upon Judah.

What I love about this book is the message, "whatever happens, praise God". Chapters 2 and 3 continue with retellings of the Lord's vengeance and judgement, but ends with such sweet hope. No matter what, I will praise Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment