Monday, April 22, 2013

Not Alone

I love being a stay-at-home mom. I love all the chances I have to snuggle with my boy throughout the day. I love all the firsts I get to witness: first smile, first crawls, first steps. I love that I can get nothing done but yet know the day hasn't been wasted because I've spent it with my son. Sure, there's frustrating moments. Times when I wish I could really just make a "quick" trip to the grocery store or post office. Moments when I wonder if all this will make a difference. But not even the most frustrating times are enough to make me want to change jobs. 

Since I'm the one who is home with Zeke every day and because I've been given those maternal instincts, I sometimes forget that I'm not Zeke's only parent. That I don't have to do this whole parenting thing alone. That - believe it or not - I'm not infallible. That I'm not the only one capable of taking care of our son. Far too often, I think that everything rests on me. And that isn't right. I've been given a great husband who is a wonderful father who is fully capable of changing diapers, dressing an almost-one-year-old, and preparing his food.

Sometimes, I fear we do the same thing with God. We think that we can manage without Him. That the weight that is upon us is ours to carry on our own. That we are strong enough to go on by ourselves. That we don't need His help. And if we did ask for help, cry, or show some another sort of weakness - that somehow makes us less "great" in the eyes of our peers. We don't like to be see as weak.

But that isn't how God intended us to live. We are weak. He is strong. We are helpless. He is our help. We are incapable. He can do the impossible.
"'Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you by My righteous right hand.'" - Isaiah 41:10  
"'Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.'" - John 15:4-5
No matter your pain, hurt or sorrow - you're not alone. You don't have to try to be strong. Because there is One who is strong for you. Let Him be Your help.
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear . . ." - Psalm 46:1-2a

No comments:

Post a Comment