Friday, April 26, 2013

Elementary Thinking


One of the most significant memories of my elementary school years was learning the "who, what, when, where, why, and how" paradigm.

All too often, as an adult with a college education, working in the everyday world of ministry, and doing continued high-level schooling my thinking gets complicated.

Sometimes though, I get hit upside the head with a figurative two-by-four and remember to settle down and do some elementary thinking.

That happened this morning after a couple really long days of work.

I was sitting in the glow of the Montana morning, the sun having just crested the Swan Range, and my hand clutched a coffee cup that was shaped by the hands of a father figure of mine.
My taste buds leaped for joy when the freshly roasted coffee swirled around my tongue.
The epidermal layer covering my bones tingled with satisfaction as the heat of the sun warmed my arms. Through the tired fog inside my brain, the words I was reading in the Bible came alive.

"I have loved you as the Father has loved Me. Abide in My love. Follow My example in obeying the Father's commandments and receiving His love. If you obey My commandments, you will stay in My love. I want you to know the delight I experience, to find ultimate satisfaction, which is why I am telling you all of this." (John 15:9-11 The Voice)

For some reason beyond the comprehension of my blurry brain, the processes of elementary thinking put my pen to the paper.

Here's what I found:
Who? Jesus, you (me, my wife, my mom, friends, enemies, every human being)

What? Have been loved, abide in that love, obey, receive, stay, know the delight, find satisfaction

When? Then. Now. Forever. (that craziness we call "eternity")

Where? Anywhere you are located on the Earth

Why? Know the delight Jesus experiences, find ultimate satisfaction

How? Abide (see also "remain") in Jesus' love, follow Jesus' example, receive His love, obey, stay

This simplified a simple text.

I am loved.
You are loved.
This "loved-ness" is the same reality that Jesus has with the Father.

Receiving and remaining in this love is good.
We can know the delight Jesus knows and find ultimate satisfaction.

This all happens in a relationship that trumps any human relationship we may understand.
Our Father and His Beloved children relate as a result of His love.

So then, I went for a bike ride with my Daddy.
We talked, we laughed, we listened, we thought like children.

Do you need to turn on the switch for "elementary thinking" today?

No comments:

Post a Comment