Monday, March 4, 2013

Time is Not on my Side

I've never been a big fan of change. I didn't like that year when my brother lived in Florida, over 1800 miles from me in Fargo. That stunk. I also didn't like the change that came with moving out to western North Dakota. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade being married to Jordan for anything; but when your closest friends are a minimum of 250 miles away, others 500 miles away - it's tough. But if I could do it all again, there would be things I would change in the change. Like when I moved out to Beulah, I wouldn't have waited to invest in friendships, in relationships. Because you know what? Time is not on my side. 

Jenna was married the same summer that I was. She and her husband live up the street. For the past three and a half years, I could walk up to her house and count the other houses I passed on two hands. But ya know what? I wasted a lot of time in the last three and a half years. Maybe it's because I had this faulty thinking of a newlywed who believed the only friend they needed was their spouse. Maybe it's because I thought the friends I had from AFLBS were so great I didn't need any other friends. Maybe it's because I felt like a scared middle schooler wanting the cool girl to be her friend. I don't know. But it wasn't until this last year that my friendship with Jenna really seemed to take root and grow. 

And now, Jenna's moving.

I hate that I wasted that time. If I could go back to 2009, I would change a lot of things over the course of the next three years. I wouldn't take for granted the fact that such a good friend would live so near. But unfortunately, I can't go back. I can only make use of the time that I have now. I can only make better investments in friendships now. I can only be bold and intentional in creating new relationships now.

So that young couple we met the other night? I guess I shouldn't just keep her number in my phone - I should call her, text her, have a play-date with her. Our neighbors across the street? I shouldn't just wish I knew them - I should bring over some cookies, invite them to our place for a game night. That family from church who always seems to encourage me? I shouldn't just think about how grateful I am for them - I should tell them, thank them for being a blessing.
" ...[make] the most of every opportunity, for the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:16
"So then while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of faith." - Galatians 6:10 
It's too easy to think that we've got time. So we wait to invest, wait to engage, wait to bless. But in waiting, we waste so much. Because you know what? Time is not on our side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment