Sunday, December 16, 2012

What can I do?


“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ― Abraham Lincoln

Many tragic events have happened in the US over the past few days. Many lives were taken, many lives were shattered, and many hearts all over the nation grieve.Many will draw closer to God in this time, seeking His strength and comfort. But there will be many who will ask “where was God?” and “how could a loving God let this happen?” As posted a few days ago, God is not distant to those who call upon Him. He is near to the broken hearted, to the humble, to His children. He has given a promise in James 4:8: “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Purify your hands, you sinners; sanctify your hearts, doubting souls.” How can the US as a nation ask where God was, when in every area He has been shoved out, unwelcome, unwanted. It is a common thought that God should only be around when we think He should. So so so many people need Jesus - in the US, and around the world!

In the Old Testament, it is recorded of how the Israelites turn from God over and over. We see the many accounts of this happening and God wants us to remember them so that we could learn from them. And He wants us to remember what He has done in the past in our lives and generations before us. The US needs revival, there is no doubt about that. But every fire has to start somewhere.

After thinking about how the recent events have broken my heart and how much the US needs to turn back to God, the thought came to my mind of, how am I pointing others around me to the Truth? Am I doing everything I can to keep myself as near to my Shepherd as possible? Am I faithful in my daily time with Him, in my prayer life, and in my relationships with others? God wants to use each of His children in mighty ways – but how can we hear His voice when we are made deaf to it by the world, Satan, and our own self? We must be faithful to draw near to Him, to listen, and to obey!

We can be in our day what the heroes of faith were in their day - but remember at the time they didn't know they were heroes.”  ― A.W. Tozer

O Lord, revive my heart, pull me close to your heart and fill me with your Spirit. Rise up your children to live for You, to stand boldly for You, and to proclaim You, the Truth. Bring the US back to you. Show me how you can use me for Your glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment