Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Phobia to Give to the Lord

Monophobia: The fear of being alone.

I think I have monophobia. Okay, not really. But sometimes I think I could. I really, really hate being alone. And in the words of Dr. Seuss, "Whether you like it or not, alone is something you'll be quite a lot!" No matter how hard I try to fill my day with friends, I'm still alone a good portion of the time.

"God is Near" by Rend Collective Experiment.



The last recorded words that Christ spoke while on this earth were, "I am with you always, to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20b). Here He reminds us that we are never, ever alone.

Just as the LORD was with the Israelites in the desert, He is with us now. "The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent." -- Exodus 14:14. God wanted the Israelites to know that it wasn't their battle to fight, but it was the LORD's. And that battle was fought and won at the Cross. As the Israelites looked forward to that, we now look back to the Cross and find our victory there.

It is through that victory that we have fellowship with the Lord. In Christ's sacrificial blood, we have a right standing before God: our criminal record (sins) have been washed clean. He now promises to never leave us or forsake us. Truly, we are never alone.

Sometimes my fear seems rather silly. I'm just a people person that needs to be with other people. But sometimes these fears are real, and we do feel as if we're all alone. You may be suffering through a trial, you may feel as though you have no direction in life, or you may be at a place where you do not have the fellowship that you desire, and you may feel alone. But know that God has said He will never leave you. Ever.

You are never alone. Cling to that promise today, whatever your circumstances may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment