Wednesday, October 24, 2012

"Run From The Candy"

Have you ever completely pigged out on candy? Me too. It doesn't feel good after. Immediately, or often longterm, as it can cause skin irritation, rotten teeth, weight gain, poor sleep, etc. But we still pigged out, even though we knew the consequences right? You did know what was going to happen right?

As far as I have experienced the majority of my sinful actions are the same way. I knew what was going to happen, but I did it anyways. If you pig out on candy, and then in your sickness after, someone berates you and tells you to 'run from the candy the next time', does it help you to not do it again? Not likely. How about if we get punished further for eating the candy? Maybe when we were kids we got spanked. Did it really help us to not want to eat candy again?

Likely not. Because we can remember the sweet taste in our mouths, the energy high, maybe even the fun times we had because of the high. I've never experienced guilt or shame granting me freedom. Whether from pigging out on candy, or after throwing myself into sin.

What if we approached not pigging out on candy, from a different perspective. What if instead of saying 'Run from the candy', which is really works righteousness... We were to say, "In Jesus there is freedom from the desire for candy, and not just one type of candy, but all candy, all of the cheap imitations of food which doesn't ever really fill you up, and only causes sickness and decay. Jesus is the real thing, here, let me introduce you to Him, let me share with you what He has worked in my life, let me show you what He thinks of you, and what He did for you and all the world, let me help you in getting acquainted with Him, and deepening your relationship with Him."

What if we actually shared the Gospel, instead of berating sinners over their sin and only giving them 'solutions' in the law, and self-help/works-righteousness methods?

What if we allow God to work in us to the extent it overflows and impacts everyone around us? How is this even possible? By running to Jesus, and not the candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment