Sunday, September 2, 2012

SOAP

Have you ever wondered where to begin, or how to stay on track when doing your daily devotions? Lately, I had hit a rut, where I read, but that was all it ends up being. I don't go away refreshed in God's Word, or really get focused during that time.

The other day I found a guideline for my time with Jesus, called SOAP, which has both helped me to stay focused and take the time to meditate on His words to me as we talk. Let me explain...

NOTE: It is good to have a journal or notebook for this. I have noticed that when I write down things, I remember it better, but even better yet, a month or year later, I can go back and see what God was doing in my life then, and what He has done in my life since. Also, it also helps you to meditate on God's word, rather than just read it and be done. 

Pick a book of the Bible to go through over the next few weeks or months, depending on how long the book is. Take it a few verses at a time, like a paragraph, or few sentences, etc. Eventually, you will have the whole book written down in your journal, with all that you have learned. 

SCRIPTURE: First, write down the scripture that you are studying for the day. 

OBSERVATION: Write down one or two things that you see in the passage. 

APPLICATION: Write down one or two ways you can specifically apply these verses to your life today

PRAYER: Pray about your applications, pray the scripture, and bring other requests to the Lord - and write them down!. Our time spent with Him is to be a conversation. Take time to let Him talk to you, and you talk to Him. 

This is just one way of many that we can stay focused as we grow in our Lord through devotions. God longs for us to be with Him, to build a relationship with Him. If you have other ways that work great for you, share them, and we can help and encourage each other in our walk with Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Quiet time is something I am lacking discipline with. Part of it is not having a system or routine. I like your idea. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete