Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Eyes Open?

Last week my eyes were opened. I had the opportunity to work as an assistant audio tech at a large guitar festival here in Northwest Montana. It was an incredible time! I learned a lot about audio, had some great times enjoying God's creation, and was able to enjoy lots of good music.

But something else happened as well. I lived in a host home for the week of the festival, and I had three roommates. These three men are all older gentlemen, and are very open about discussing spiritual things. They were also the majority of whom I interacted with closely, for the entire week.

One of them previously died of a heart attack and was brought back to life. He told us, "There's nothing to fear on the other side, only peace, colors you'd never imagine, joy, and shekinah glory."

Another one talked to me about how he discusses with his angels the tough decisions in life. He essentially bargains with them. And at one time, in so doing, his daughter's dog was 'healed'. Along with those things, he wears a piece of jewelry to declare his allegiance to his personal angel. Or spirit guide.

The third told me he didn't see much difference between Buddism and Christianity. He went on to tell me "I believe in Jesus... But not all of that religion stuff, like dying on the cross. I don't think He would have done that."

Interacting with these men was very eye opening. You see, I'd forgotten I live in a world which is headed for eternal destruction. What really hit this home for me was when one the groups of students performed the song "Highway to Hell" by AC DC. Here are the lyrics:

Living easy, living free
Season ticket on a one-way ride
Asking nothing, leave me be
Taking everything in my stride
Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
Ain't nothing I would rather do
Going down, party time
My friends are gonna be there too
I'm on the highway to hell
No stop signs, speed limit
Nobody's gonna slow me down
Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Nobody's gonna mess me round
Hey Satan, payed my dues
Playing in a rocking band
Hey Momma, look at me
I'm on my way to the promised land
I'm on the highway to hell
(Don't stop me)
And I'm going down, all the way down
I'm on the highway to hell

The audience went wild when this song was played. This is reality. Our world is on a highway to eternal destruction. I was convicted, because I had forgotten this. Somehow I had ended up going to church Sunday, Bible study Tuesday, and had forgotten I was to go and make disciples. My eyes have been opened. This has caused me to be hungrier for God's Word, spend much more time in prayer, and cry out to God for the salvation of those who I know don't know Jesus as their savior.

Last week was a huge step towards having my eyes open. I'm very thankful Jesus brought me through it.

Are your eyes open?

No comments:

Post a Comment