Wednesday, August 29, 2012

In Awe of Creation...


Two weeks ago, I was driving across eastern Montana and into North Dakota. The further I drove, the drabber the terrain got. And the further I drove, the less I was interested in looking at anything but the road ahead. In my opinion, there wasn't much to look at. Not much beauty.

And then, as I was an hour north of Williston, the sun started to shine through the clouds, on it's way towards setting. I rolled down my window, grabbed my camera, and tried to stay on the road while I shot this picture.

But even in seeing this, I thought, 'Wow, the sunsets are really pretty, too bad the rest of the scenery isn't…' (If you're from North Dakota, I'm sorry! I'll try to redeem this later!)

The next day, I got up and rode with a friend to Fargo. And along the way, I started to see the scenery a little differently. I started to see little ponds, and abandoned farms, and forgotten history on hillsides. And I'd think, 'Oh that'd be a sweet picture.'

A couple of days later we headed back across the land of North Dakota. And I started to get curios about the things I was seeing, and the stories they might hold. I was beginning to see beauty in the little things scattered throughout the expanse we travelled.

As I parted ways with my friend near the end of North Dakota, I started to have an incredible time with God, reflecting on all which He has done for me. As this was happening I started to notice all of this beauty around me… It was awe-inspiring.

I continued into Montana and drew closer to the mountains, and I was only more and more awed at how beautiful God has made creation to be! 

This week I'm working on the edge of Flathead Lake. It's really great. The beauty is incredibly evident.


As a result of these things occurring in the last couple of weeks, I've had a lot of times being in awe of creation. And in turn, times of being in awe of my Creator. 

A question: 
Is it more typical for you to see things, as I did at first in North Dakota, as just drab? 
Or…
Do you more typically see things as awe-inspiring?

I've been learning these last couple of weeks, God created me to be filled with awe and wonder… And when I allow myself to be, I grow in awe and wonder at who my heavenly Father is. 

May you also be filled with awe at creation, and through it, be filled with awe of our Creator!

No comments:

Post a Comment