Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fresh Off the Concrete Truck

Over the last few weeks, I've had the incredible opportunity to help out my local congregation as we go through a complete parking lot remodel and expansion. It's been incredible because not only have I learned a lot about how to form curbs and sidewalks out of concrete. I've also been able to get to know a lot more of the men in my church, in a way I don't get to on a Sunday morning sipping coffee.

Beyond those things, I've also experienced just how heavy and hard to maneuver concrete can be. It's kind of obstinate stuff. But yet, when it's fresh out of the truck, it is still able to be formed and molded. It may take quite a bit of work, as my forearms can attest, but it is possible.

Once the concrete has cured and solidified however, it can't be molded. In order for a change to take place, the concrete has to be broken apart, removed and new, wet concrete poured in. As I've had ample opportunity to think about concrete in the last few weeks, I've realized how similar to concrete I can be.

If I am continually interacting with God through reading His Word and prayer, I'm like concrete, fresh off the truck. Wet and moldable. I might not always respond easily to God's molding and shaping, but I remain moldable.

However, there are times in my life, when I'm not communing with God as I should be. I let busyness, or neglect, or a host of other things, dictate my relationship with Jesus. And at those times, God is definitely still working... But often, because of my own heart attitude, I'm more like concrete which has been hardened by the Summer sun. And in those times it takes God's loving jackhammer to mold and shape me.

As I've been reflecting on my work with concrete, God has been pointing to areas of my life and asking me, "Are you fresh off the truck in this area?" "How about this area? You're looking a little cured and solidified there."

How about you, right now?

Are you fresh off the truck and moldable?

Or have you allowed things in your life to cure and solidify?

May God grant each of us to continually be 'fresh off the concrete truck'.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Micah-- sometimes it's the "hard, concrete" times that hurt the most because God has to completely break me to change and mold me. Good reminder. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete