Sunday, May 6, 2012

page turning

It has been a long while since I last wrote, but that's not to say I haven't been writing.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Most of my penmanship has been personal. Black squiggles between light blue lines have filled the pages of a leatherback journal. My thoughts spill out like a crock-pot mishap at a potluck. A number of ideas are marked with an asterisk, but few have been shared with the world. The page is turned and I keep scratching away at my thoughts.

This is O.K.

More than that, this is what I've needed. I'm once again going through a time of life that would label me a "page turner."

No, I'm not absorbed in the craze of reading the Hunger Games books.
No, I'm not learning how to play an old Bob Seger song on guitar.
No, I'm not assembling complex machines requiring me to read direction.

Rather, I am coming to a crossroads in life. If my story is still being authored by the One who authors life (which it is) then it is time to turn the page.

It seems like the Author of this story took extra care, more time, and got a lot of feedback before finishing this chapter. Many people play important roles. Setting the scenes required beautiful, varied landscapes. But most importantly He has been, still is, and will continue being the ever-present, all-knowing, story-shaping Narrator turning the page.

Six days from now I will receive a college diploma.
Twenty-one days later I will receive a gift of grace; a wife.
Thirty days after that I will start a full-time job with Young Life in Kalispell, MT.

As this chapter is ending, the next one will begin at an incredible pace.

Not knowing the twists that will come in the plot can bring anxiety, but I know the Author understands why they must take place. Seeing foreshadowing events taking place in chapters previously read gives me vision for my future. The story that is being written is designed by and for the glory of God. His narrative in Scripture keeps me turning the pages. The pages I read help me understand the pages He is writing.

The page will turn. The story will go on. But, the best is yet to come.

Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment