Thursday, April 26, 2012

Foggy Paths

I have come down to the final weeks of my life here at the Bible School (Association Free Lutheran Bible School if you're unaware) and life seems to be moving forward at a rate I'm not sure I can handle. However, on  choir tour over the past few weeks I learned something very important. It wasn't through a great song or a powerful message--which are all good and I did grow through them as well--but God taught me this lesson through repelling.

Yes, I know. Little, cautious Kate went repelling. And boy oh boy was I nervous! As someone made sure I was all ready to go, I found myself asking what in the world I was doing. I'm prone to accidents, mainly concussions, so I could hear my parents (even across 4 states!) telling me to get down and stop fooling around. But the fact that it was new and exhilerating made me want to do it all the more! As I got onto the cliff where I would take the first leap, I asked Luke Long, "Am I going to make it?" He said he was 100% sure that I would, but upon looking down I had my doubts in his word. It was a foggy morning and the fog crept in all around you--you couldn't see anything! I didn't like not being able to see the bottom. But the one thing I held onto, the only thing I had to hold onto, was the solid, firm rock right in front of me. That rock wasn't moving, and it was the only thing that I could do to get to the bottom.

 Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."


In life there aren't a lot of certainties; we don't even know what tomorrow will bring, or if it will come at all. But we have faith in Jesus Christ, the only One we have to hold onto, our solid, firm rock right in front of us. In the Bible, Jesus is called the "cornerstone" 11 times (Psalm 118:22, Zechariah 10:4, etc). This word literally means "lying at the extreme corner" and refers to the crucial stone that was laid in setting the parameters for a foundation. The cornerstone was everything. It was the firm, solid rock of a building.

This is our Jesus.

When life seems to be spinning out of control or you don't know where the next step is leading you as the fog is too thick, just look ahead. Look to Jesus.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your parths"-- Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment