Thursday, September 1, 2011

Prepared by Failure

As a senior in college, I realize how much I have learned in the last five years. It is kind of neat to look through old notebooks and see the scribbles on the page indicating that my brain was digesting new information. Even more interesting is seeing that content show up in my daily life. Much of what I have learned gets passed on to people after I have become prepared to share.

The main thing I have learned during my college career involves self-observation. Without an ability to see oneself through the lens of God's reality, there is little hope for growth. More often than not, this means that I am becoming more and more aware of my failures. This sounds depressing, but by looking back at what I've learned, there is room for rejoicing.
_______________________________________________

Just like everyone else, I am unique. In my own quirky way, I find new avenues of adventure to lead me away from the feet of Jesus. More often that not though, I take the well beaten path of destruction. The familiarity of particular indulgences make my flesh feel good. As an individual, my struggles often look the same. I repeatedly find myself journeying away from Jesus.

Just like everyone else, I am offered grace. In my own quirky way, I find new avenues of adventure to lead me back to the feet of Jesus. More often than not though, I take the well beaten path of devotion. The familiarity of particular practices make my soul feel good. As an individual my successes often look the same. I repeatedly find myself journeying closely with Jesus.

_______________________________________________

In an old paperback book that I picked up for free the other day, the author, Miles J. Stanford writes ...

"Our personal, heart-breaking failure in every phase of our Christian life is our Father's preparation for His success on our behalf."
_______________________________________________

God continually shows me His grace as I continually show Him my defeated, downward looking face. In my lowest of lows, He shows up to bring me to His highest of highs. The less I deserve His love, the more He loves to give me what I don't deserve. At the end of the day, I am only prepared to share what I have learned when I come to grips with the fact that I fail.
_______________________________________________

Much of the Church today clings to the promise of Romans 8:28. This is fine and dandy, but what makes my heart sing is the truth sandwiching the popular sentence.

Take a look at this ...

"26 And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. 27 And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. 28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. 29 For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory." -Romans 8:26-30 NLT
_______________________________________________
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Tim. I love the verses sandwiching vs 28. :) I was particularly struck by 29 -30. What an intentional God we have, one who knows us so well, who wants us to be like His Son, to be His children, to be with Him and to give us His glory. Wow. That's incredible!

    ReplyDelete