Tuesday, August 16, 2011

God's Greatness

I just got back from camping for a week in Jedidiah Smith State Park, which is located within the boundaries of the Redwood National Forest. What can I say? Those trees are amazing! The whole week I was there I was told over and over again by the Lord to just enjoy the trip I was on. For some reason I was finding it hard to do, but by the time the week was over I coul gladly say that I did enjoy it and it was amazing.

We were given the opportunity to do many different things, but the things that I enjoyed doing the most were kayaking the river we were camped on, cliff jumping, hanging out on the beach, swimming, and listening to this guy sing at the state park about the life of salmon. The singing this was kind of weird, but my heart was awakened through it to the beauty of God's creation and the fact that I don't really know much about it and would like to learn more.

The first night we were there we took a walk to this section of the forest called Stout Grove, which is home to the biggest tree in that section of the forest and as we walked through that grove and other parts of the forest I was completely awestruck by what I was seeing. It almost seemed like what I was looking at was fake, as I had never seen the Redwoods before and my imagination really hadn't done it justice, and that night as I was laying in my tent spending some time in prayer and reading the Scriptures I was led to read Psalm 96 and the part that really ministered to my heart was verses 11-13, which say, "Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy. Let all creation rejoice before the Lord, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his faithfulness." (NIV) As I read this, especially, "let all the trees of the forest sing for joy," it was easy in my mind for me to imagine and see how this could be possible because all week they were screaming out the greatness of God to me. I couldn't wrap my mind around the greatness of those trees...and I was looking at them! How much more so can my mind not ascend to the greatness of God. Glad I am that Jesus came in human form to be the perfect representation of who God is that we might be able to see a visible picture of the invisible God. In Jesus we can get a glimpse, though dimly, of who God is and long for the day when we shall see all things fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment