Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Thinking Renewal

I find this, what my title is for this blog post, to be one of the more important things that takes place when I find myself to have gone for a period of time without being in the Scriptures for my own personal time with God. I spend a lot of time in the Scriptures due to the nature of what I am an involved in, but sometimes I just don't spend time alone with God in His Word and prayer like I should. The first thing to go is my mind. Not that it's not already gone, but yoiu know what I mean right? :)

Romans 12:1 says this, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." (NASB) So, how are our minds renewed? Primarily by the word of God. Interestingly the thought that follows this verse is that our minds control our actions. If we don't want to be conformed to the pattern of this world not just in thought but also in deed, knowing what the will of God is, then we need to be in the Scriptures. It's like taking a spiritual bath in the truth. Our minds are washed and saturated cleaning away any garbage and debris. This is how we learn to set our minds on things above and not on things below. This is how we learn to make decisions that are led by the Spirit and not by the flesh.

For example. Tonight I spent some time reading some stuff from the Bible and I have been having questions and concerns about some things and I have just noticed a general lack of spiritual thought in my mind the past few weeks and I began to think about it what the cause was so I did as I mentioned before. I spent some time in the Scriptures. Now, as soon as I began reading I just felt this sense of peace and assurance come over me and by the time I was done reading I knew what God's answers to my questions and concerns were and what I read hadn't even covered anything in particular about my issues. Simply being in the Word of God cleaned away all of that rubbish and debris, fear and uncertainty are better words I guess, and allowed me to know, or prove, what the will of God is for certain situations in my life.

It's also great because it divided between all of the stuff I had been thinking about and brought it right down to the issues at hand.

So, it seems that the Word of God is sweet and I like to spend time reading it because it gives me a better mind and helps me to live and make decisions led by the Spirit and not by the flesh. I also like to get to know YAHveh more and that is super sweet.

Peace out my peeps,
Justin

(By the way, I'm really tired right now when I'm writing this; so if it seems random or a little "off," that's why. ;))

1 comment:

  1. Justin,I really liked your analogy of taking a spiritual bath in the Word. Thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete