Thursday, February 17, 2011

Does Jesus want to spit me out of His mouth?

I'm reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan and feeling incredibly challenged by it. My mind is so full of so many different thoughts, it's hard to sort it all out into a coherent thought flow, so bear with me. I just started going to a Bible study where we are reading the book and then discussing it with one another. This week we covered chapter 4 "Profile of the Lukewarm." Ouch. Talk about uncomfortable. It's hard to examine yourself that closely, to take a good look at the person you are. It's difficult to compare yourself to this list of the lukewarm. It's not easy to test your faith. When we are really honest with ourselves we find that we fall short. We come up lacking. I have so so so much growing in the Lord to do. There is so much change that needs to happen in my life. It's humbling and hard to admit.

But, the question is am I lukewarm? Does Jesus want to spit me out of His mouth?

Revelation 3: 16 "So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

As I drove home from Bible Study DC Talk's Jesus Freak was playing on the radio. The phrase "you can't hide the truth" jumped out at me.

"What will people think
When they hear that I'm a Jesus freak
What will people do when they find that it's true
I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak
There ain't no disguising the truth
ain't no disguising the truth, no I ain't hiding the truth"

Matthew 5:
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

Salt, if it loses it saltiness is useless. You can't hide a city on a hill. So let your light shine.

If you are a true Christian the evidence will be there. You'll be on fire, you'll be salty, there won't be any hiding the light, there won't be any disguising the truth.

I would encourage you to take time this week to examine your faith. Have you become complacent in your walk with the Lord? Are there things in your life that you have placed before Him? Where does your time and money go? Are you more worried about what people think than what the Lord does? Do you love your enemy more than yourself? Are you putting on a show? Do you bear fruit?

Are you a city on a hill that shines before men?

Be Blessed,
Naomi

p.s. Here's a blog post along the same lines that has Chan's list of the profile of the lukewarm: http://blakeunfettered.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/profile-of-the-lukewarm-ch-4-of-crazy-love/

And a pretty good video on the topic of Lukewarm Christians.

1 comment:

  1. Another perspective on those verses: http://www.ericpazdziora.com/writing/the-myth-of-the-lukewarm-christian/

    A snippet:

    "Lukewarm” means “self-righteous.”

    A “lukewarm Christian” is not somebody who claims to follow Jesus but also does worldly things. It’s somebody who says “I don’t do worldly things, so I’m living in God’s will.”

    ReplyDelete