Thursday, December 9, 2010

Seasons of Serenity

Monday brought a monumental moment into the life of one young man.

Was it a betrothal? No.
Did he receive a promotion at work? No.
Will he finally get a college degree? No.
Does he comprehend the complexity of the female mind? No.

The odometer on my 1993 Subaru Loyale rolled over to 200,000 miles at approximately 8:37 A.M. on Bryant Ave in Minneapolis, MN. This significant landmark brought a wave of emotions crashing into my being like a tsunami hitting a desert island. I was filled with joyful memories, hair pulling frustrations, and contemplation of what the future may hold for "The Silver Bullet." As I reflected on the life lived within the confines of my little piece of Japanese manufacturing, God shone light on the mountains of my Scandinavian Montanan soul.

Driving through rural America on a hot summer day convinced me that I was rolling down that county road in a sweat-lodge on wheels. If the A/C were switched on, the temperature gauge climbed to the red. Sweat from my brow pooled in my eyes, stinging like soy sauce during an ethnic food fight. Sitting in a pool of my own sweat had me asking myself: "Are we there yet?" As the thermometer displayed three digits, I had a burning yearning for winter.

The mercury plunges below zero, snow covers the earth, and my car attempts to prove its worth. Pouring a funny bottle of isopropanol into my gas tank helps the engine start, but my heater continues to leave me with broken heart. Down jackets, long underwear, and shivering keep my body warm. My pores are attempting to de-ice themselves as my car self-diagnoses a case of hypothermia. Who knew cars could be hypothermic?

Seasons aren't always appreciated. When it gets too hot, we long for something cold. When it gets to cold, we want to warm up. The momentary reality gets pushed to the side when dreams of what could be fill up my mind. Contentment is considered but quickly forgotten as selfish desires dominate my daily life.

Who can help make me smile?
What happens next?
When will life look like my dreams?
Where would be a better place to be?
Why do I want what I do not have?
How can I truly be content today?

1 Timothy 6 encourages the believer to examine themselves in light of the teachings of Jesus. Paul's words make this earthly life seem so simple. Do I have food? Am I wearing clothes? Then I can be content.

I should pursue are a right relationship with God; only offered through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Becoming more like Christ doesn't happen overnight and faith is the assurance of things not yet seen. Therefore, live in the moment with the Holy Spirit by your side and when worry creeps in, let God's presence bring true contentment.

Stop for a moment. Be silent in the midst of chaos. Find peace with God.

Contemplate how God's love can bring you contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment