Thursday, September 23, 2010

Can you repeat that?

Have you ever purchased new music, listened through the album, and found that one song that just rocks your socks off and all you can do is listen to it over and over again on repeat?

Repetition can get a bad reputation sometimes. I like to look at repetition positively.

Commuting can become repetitious. Some mornings, my brain feels mushy like my oatmeal/egg combo and the drive drags on forever. Other days, I am enjoying the same stretch of road like its an exploratory adventure into a new world. Why? Loud music, complete silence, different sunglasses, window down, window up, staying in the slow lane, or a phone call from a friend can spice up that repetitive activity.

Want to get better at anything? Repeat it. When I was a young lad learning to ski, I was adamant about doing 360's off jumps. I had to learn to fall down and get back up. Again and again and again. Repeating the process of catching air, spinning 270 degrees, and hitting earth like a fly swatter really payed off. I learned that you've got to keep looking over your shoulder and you'll come around. Now I repeatedly do 360's when I'm skiing.

What is the hardest thing about being a Christian? If you were to poll Christians today, there would be a large number of them telling you reading the Bible and praying (aka "doing devos") is the most difficult thing about being a Christian. Why is that? Is it our attitude toward the repetitive?

God has shaped my perspective on life. Repeating the same thing has become less of a burden. When I struggle with repeating the same sin for years, I find myself praying the same prayer day in and day out. This repetition makes God smile. He wants to repeatedly help us as we struggle though life.

Psalm 92:2 says "to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night"- this is something I try to repeat everyday. When I wake up remembering how much God has love me it makes the same old routine a lot more fun. I realize how blessed I am to be alive. God loves me unconditionally. Before I go to sleep at night, I think about how God was repeatedly faithful to me throughout my day.

I hope you see that God's love has been on repeat forever and will be on repeat for eternity and that's a song that will never get old.

No comments:

Post a Comment