Friday, June 25, 2010

uncommon?

God has lately been pointing me out in so many situations to die to self and to live my life in His power and strength. I feel that I never understand what that means, but I keep striving to know Him and pray that someday I will understand in some tiny way.


God really spoke to me though this quote by Jim Elliot that I came across, and I wanted to share it with all of you. If we lived this way, if our generation in America, and around the world, would be willing step out in the boldness and power of God, what a world of difference there would be!




"We are so utterly ordinary, so commonplace, while we profess to know a Power the Twentieth Century does not reckon with.


But we are "harmless," and therefore unharmed. We are spiritual pacifists, non-militants, conscientious objectors in this battle-to-the-death with principalities and powers in high places.


Meekness must be had for contact with men, but brass, outspoken boldness is required to take part in the comradeship of the Cross.


We are "sideliners" -- coaching and criticizing the real wrestlers while content to sit by and leave the enemies of God unchallenged.


The world cannot hate us, we are too much like its own.


Oh that God would make us dangerous!"


--Jim Elliot




This quote, though written a few years ago, is so true today, and we can learn and be challenged so much from those before us!


I pray that we as Followers of Christ would live everyday without any regrets, that we would be "dangerous" in the Power of God, given the ability in Christ and the Holy Spirit!


If we live for some One that is so uncommon or unusual compared to the world, how can our lives be anything but uncommon to the world?? Man, that is something that I need to think about and really apply to my life!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks Rachel! What a great quote; and what a true challenge! I agree, I definitely need this too.

    ReplyDelete