Thursday, April 29, 2010

WIB & WIG

Spring - When the snow in the mountains absorbs the warmth of the sun and begins to have the consistency of mashed potatoes and gravy. The year 2000 - A new millenium, the Backstreet Boys are at the peak of their career, and a memorable day takes place for at least two young guys.

I was introduced to a short, scruffy, musician type guy who was coming from the flat farm land of Northern Minnesota. We were both at a weekend youth rally in Kalispell, MT. Within a few seconds of introductions, it was determined that I would be the guide at the ski hill for this guy. Being the brilliant young man I was at the time, I knew how to show this guy what skiing in MT is really like.

Standing at the top of the biggest jump on the mountain, it looks like you're going to run into a large wall covered in snow. With the laws of physics working to your advantage, you can go downhill, up the takeoff, and begin to orbit Montana, before gravity gets a grip and brings you back to the snow. After repeatedly slamming into the takeoff, this gifted guitar player finally became a human canon ball. It wasn't the time in the air that brought the pain - it was coming back to solid ground. I'll never forget this new friend's determination, trying over and over again, disregarding the feelings in his shoulder, wrists, and back. Even more memorable were the shouts of joy, high fives and echoing laughter after a great day absorbing God's creation.

That night I sat in a hard plastic chair, listening to an acoustic guitar compliment the lyrics leaving the lips of my new friend, Jeremy Erickson. This was a different side of the guy than I had seen earlier on the mountain. The songs I heard were new, thought provoking, and created by a guy from a farm in Minnesota. My eyes were just beginning to be opened to the vastness of my Creator's creations. Some lyrics came from the Bible, others were inspired by God painting pictures on warm North Dakota evenings, and still some were in memory of loved ones.

Little did I know at the time, Jeremy and I would bump into each other many times over the next 11 years. An afternoon jam session in my mother's house (playing Jeremy's Taylor guitar) I sit and learn the chords from the guy who wrote the song. In the mountains of Colorado, conversations late at night keep us updated on the days that are behind us. Email updates keep friends connected. The randomness was a part of God's plan for at least two young guys.

Fast forward to the fall of 2009. Walking into a new church building, in a new city, in a new chapter of life, who do I see? The years have changed how much hair is or is not on our faces, but Jeremy and I reunite again - this time on his turf. At Emmaus Free Lutheran Church it seems like God may have brought our lives full circle. Phone numbers are exchanged and plans are made for a time to really catch up.

Over a nice cup of coffee, Jeremy takes a few hours out of his life to connect with me when I may have needed it most. I've finally been processing some of life's realities (my relationship with my dad) and God brought Jeremy and I together to connect with Him. Jeremy and I laugh, ponder, and catch up after far too long. There are so many levels that we find common ground - adventure, family, AFLBS, illness, pain, inspiration, conversation, music, and friends - but that day the common ground was simply, Jesus. Two different people, two different lives, two different perspectives, one Jesus.

While I've heard some of Jeremy's songs at least 5 times, the lyrics from "God's own Glory" connected with me today.

"Reunite the now and then, To bring your glory, Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment