Monday, May 20, 2013

Committedly Crazy

As I wrote once before, I love to walk. Almost every day, Ezekiel and I head out on a four-mile walk. Even during the cold days of winter, we walked - as long as the temperature was above zero. I've gotten looks of disapproval from older ladies, countless offers for rides, and even made some friends on that walking path. I've been called determined and committed to my face; behind my back, I'm sure I've been called crazy and foolish. Today was probably one of those days I would be called either committed or crazy - take your pick. But at least it was just rain. And don't worry - Zeke stays warm and dry. In fact, I think he's wetter some mornings when he overflows his diaper than he is on days like today when we hit the walking path.

Today, with my hood soaked, falling over my face and making me look like some Star Wars character, I contemplated whether I was committed or crazy. And I couldn't help but wish my walk with Christ was as much of an obvious commitment as my daily physical walk is. I mean, these people I meet out on our walk, whether they are on foot themselves or in a car, they see me nearly every day. Just the other day, a woman at a garage sale told me I was her "hero" because she drove past me every day.

But is my dedication to Christ as evident?

Do I follow Jesus with such obvious commitment?
Do those I meet in the grocery store or pharmacy know that I am not living for myself?
Do I get head-shakes from others who see me living as Jesus commanded?

And following Jesus? That happens in the little things, as well as the big. Following Jesus happens when I clamp my mouth shut when I want to participate in gossip about that person. Following Jesus happens when I respond in grace to my husband, instead of snapping back. Following Jesus happens when I go without the "extras" and the "nice" so that someone else can be given a meal.
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for the edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear . . . Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Ephesians 4:29, 31-32, NASB 
"Let love be without hypocrisy . . ." - Romans 12:9, NASB
We don't do it for ourselves, for our glory and praise. But for Him and for His.
"'Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.'" - Matthew 5:16, NASB

1 comment:

  1. You are a great writer. I appreciate your "voice". Continue to encourage all of us in following Jesus.

    ReplyDelete