Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bring Back the Wonder

With the arrival of warmer temperatures, my little Ezekiel's world has gotten so much bigger. I love seeing the wonder - and sometimes fear - on his face as his feet touch grass for the first time. As his fingers crumple a dead leaf for the first time. As his mouth tastes and encloses a rock for the first time. (Actually, the wonder was completely on his face on this one; the fear completely on mine. Zeke's mouth is far too big for his own good.) Throughout this journey of parenthood, there have been countless times that I have wished I could remember that wonder, that awe, of discovering the world for the first time. I wouldn't want to go back and re-learn everything; but I do wish I could remember what it was like to taste banana for the fist time. What it was like to take your first step. What it's like to see snow for the first time or feel grass beneath your feet. To just simply be amazed at the beauty of creation.

And sometimes - actually, a lot of times - I wish the same thing for my salvation. Growing up in a Christian home, growing up going to church, growing up hearing the wonderful message of the Gospel -- unfortunately, the awesome loses its wonder at times. It shouldn't. Because I'm still a sinner in need of that daily grace, that daily forgiveness. But I guess it's just too easy to get used to the truths of Scripture; the state of what I was and have now become because of Christ. I wish it wasn't.

So I decided that I need to pray the prayer that David prayed. And not just once, but daily. That every morning I need to humble my heart as I approach His throne and say:
"Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit." - Psalm 51:12
I want the wonder back.

No comments:

Post a Comment