Monday, January 28, 2013

Our Temporary Home

Jordan, Zeke and I just returned from a nearly week long trip to the Minneapolis area. Our time was busy, but blessed. Stressful at times, yet relaxing at others. We saw a good chunk of our family and friends, ate at restaurants that we usually don't, served at Feed My Starving Children, and enjoyed not washing dishes. But to be honest, even from the beginning of the trip, I was looking forward to coming home. One of my favorite parts of traveling has always been coming home. It's comforting to come back to the familiar. To return to a daily routine. To grind my own coffee beans, put my baby boy down in his own bed, and to shower in our own shower. I will boldly declare along with Dorthy that "There's no place like home."

Except its far too easy for me to think of "home" as our house in western North Dakota. Too often I forget that this house that we call home is just temporary. Too often I forget that my time should be spent on things, on people, that are going to last for eternity. Too often I forget that my money should be spent more on those in need than on myself.
"'Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in and steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.'" - Matthew 6:19-21
Yeah, it's great to be home. I'm looking forward to popping myself some popcorn in our Stir Crazy and resting my head on my pillow tonight.  But am I living like this house - this life - is just a temporary place? I pray that I will be living with eternity in mind. May that affect every decision I make, from how I manage my time to the people that I invest in.

No comments:

Post a Comment