Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Do you really believe?


In the last few months I've been thinking a lot about what it is I believe I believe. As in, my own perception of what I think I believe. I've come to realize, through the work of the Holy Spirit in my life, I don't always really believe what I say and think I believe. The underlying question throughout these last few months has been; 

"If I really believe these things, there should be evidence in my life… Is there?"

You see, I've been in the Christian environment my entire life. And as a result of this, I've grown up with perceptions, thoughts, feelings, opinions, biases, and good morals, which I've believed made me Christian. And I'm not here to knock any of those. But they aren't where the root of Christianity lies. For the majority of my life, I lived in a way which I thought would make God happy with me. Following rules, doing the 'right' things, making sure I didn't do the 'really bad' things… All the while thinking, these made me better in God's eyes. More able to be a representative of Him.

Instead, what I was doing was declaring through my actions, "I don't need God. "My works are good enough, I don't need Jesus, or His sacrifice." As I look back, this is terrible! And if I would've understood the Gospel, I would've been horrified at my actions. But I didn't understand the Gospel, and thus I continued on, trying to please God, afraid of what would happen if I couldn't.

This is our human condition. We are sinful, and we try to make it on our own. But this is also why God sent His Son. Jesus came to save us from the trap of believing we can work our way to heaven, or thinking we make God love us more by what we do or don't do. The truth is God loves us no matter what we do. We cannot change the fact, God loves us. God loves you! He knows everything we have done, and everything we will ever do. Good or Bad. And yet He loves us unconditionally. He loves us with no conditions! Reflect on that for a minute.

It's then, as a result of this understanding, we are enabled through the freedom in Christ, to live our lives in such a way, as to bring glory to God through our actions. It's not a result of what we have done, but through the gift of God in Jesus Christ, not of man's works so that no one may boast. (See Ephesians 2:8-10)

We then, because of the no-conditions love of our Father, are enabled to live out our Christianity, doing works. But not to earn God's love. Instead, to testify of God's love. To give Him glory. To express our love back to Him. This is the evidence which should be in the life of one who believes in God. This is the evidence which should be in my life.

As I've been asking myself this question at the prompting of the Holy Spirit, it's taken on varying perspectives. Or, more precise sub-points. I've had to ask myself; 

"Am I willing to share anything I have with my brothers and sisters in Christ?" 
"Do I love my neighbor as myself?"
"Am I craving the Word of God as a newborn babe craves milk?"
"Am I dwelling more on the opinions of men, or the truth of God's Word?"

The list could go on. But the gist is, "Do I really believe?" And don't get caught thinking for a second, if you don't, or don't have a certain amount of evidence in your life, that God will love you less. His love is based on no conditions! It's easy to think, if we don't do something just right, or just as the Bible says, we will lose God's love. This isn't true. His love is unconditional. Rejoice in this! Rejoice in it by living in such a way to testify of His love, to bring Him glory, and to thank Him for His unconditional love!

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
- Collossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment