Thursday, July 5, 2012

'Cause baby, you're a firework!

BOOM! Fireworks... I love them.

I was blessed to be able to go to fireworks two nights in a row this week, and it really got me thinking: why do you love them so much, Kate?

Really, fireworks seem kinda silly if you step back and look at it. But the more I thought about it, I realized I like them because the lights are so vibrant against the black sheet of night. I love the unnatural contrast. I love the beauty, the noise, the joy.

This realization led me to another: that is what we are called to be.

Isaiah 60:1 says, "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD has risen upon you. For behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and thick darkness the peoples; but the LORD will arise upon you, and His glory will be seen upon you."

Christ is the true light of the world, and at His ascension, He passed that torch onto His followers. Notice: that light comes from God. We know that light, we know Jesus, and we know that the world indeed is dark.

Again, Jesus says in His Sermon on the Mount, You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16)


He calls those who believe in Him the light! A light shines brightest in the darkness, and we have been placed in a dark place. Even the weakest of lights can be seen in complete darkness, unless it is hidden. Unless it's "under a basket". 


As I stated above, God is the One who provides the light. It's not something we have to muster up on our own. With Christ as our personal Savior, He infuses us with that light. He shines through us! How awesome is that! This is something that happens, not something we do. God does it through us--this is what is called "gospel". The good news that we don't have to work (law). 


When Christ shines through us, the world cannot help but notice. Fireworks light up the whole sky--that's what light does in the darkness. It shines. Let Jesus shine in and through you today!



"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:5)


                (I apologize for the title--that song has been stuck in my head for a while and I cannot escape!)

No comments:

Post a Comment