Sunday, May 29, 2011

Passion - Part Three

This is my third and final installment of sharing with you about my time at Passion 2011 in Ft. Worth, Texas. It has been good for me to go back through my notes and be continually challenged by what God accomplished in my life a few months ago. Out of all that I experienced at Passion, hearing the Word of God preached was by far the most impacting aspect. Because of that I’ve saved it for last.
At the Friday night session Louie Giglio spoke on Philippians 1:1-26. I would encourage you to stop and take a moment to read that passage. Here are some of my notes from that session.
Am I a servant of Christ Jesus? Paul and Timothy were, and it was so important to them that they needed no other title. How many other titles do I use to introduce myself before I make use of the one that declares me as a servant/follow of Jesus Christ? Who is Jesus? Do I know, or do I just merely process the work of God with my brain, not letting it impact and transform me? Am I seeing Jesus? Saul saw Jesus, and he was so transformed that he needed his name changed! (see Acts 9)
True freedom in Christ is being able to honestly declare “For to me to live is CHRIST, and to die is GAIN.” Paul declared this, and it’s evident that this wasn’t just a vain declaration to make him appear more spiritual, but a heart cry of a life transformed by seeing Christ. Is Christ truly in my living? And for me is death a reward? I fear that often death is something that I view as a ‘have-to’ at the end of this life. Instead of the greatest reward that can be imagined for those of us who have been transformed by seeing Christ.
Saturday morning Francis Chan spoke from Philippians 1:27-28. 
He spoke about how when we read the scripture and see the persecution or things that occur in the lives of believers it makes sense. It matches up. And then when we look around the world at the persecuted church or those thriving because of their relationship with Jesus, it makes sense. It matches up. And so Francis Chan asked us “Is your life worthy of the Gospel?” Does your life make sense in relation to what the Gospel says? Or is it contrary? Do our lives really measure up? Are we really living in light of eternity?
In the evening on Saturday we heard from John Piper. He asked a question that has really stuck with me... “What’s at the bottom of your joy?” Another way this could be said is; What is it that gives you the greatest joy in your life right now? “If you get to the bottom of your joy and that isn’t God, then you are an idolator.” 
So often we simply want/try to fulfill our backward worldly desires in Christ. But that is NOT salvation! The old ‘Bottom’ (of your joy) must be severed by the Holy Spirit and put to death through faith in Christ in His death and resurrection. And in that state we are able to see Christ glorified and His work accomplished in and through us!
Passion was INCREDIBLE! I honestly would recommend it to everyone! God used it to do mighty things in my life!

By Micah Horneman

No comments:

Post a Comment