Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Surrender II

Last week I shared a little bit about my story during a time in my life when God had to break me and show me some ways in my life where I needed to surrender to Him.  Basically it was a time where He got me to say, "It's all or nothing." 

This week I would like to continue with the theme of surrender and to begin I would like to quote a short part of a book by one of my favorite authors, Andrew Murray, called "Absolute Surrender."

He says this: "Absolute Surrender - let me tell you where I got those words.  I used them myself often and you have heard them numberless times.  But in Scotland once I was in a company where we were talking about the condition of Christ's Church and what the great need of the Church and of believers is, and there was in our company a godly worker who has much to do in training workers and I asked him what he would say was the great need of the Church and the message that ought to be preached.  He answered very quietly and simply and determinedly: 'ABSOLUTE SURRENDER to God is the one thing.'    The words struck me as never before, and that man began to tell how, in the workers with whom he had to deal, that if they are sound on that point, even though they be backward, they are willing to be taught and helped, and they always improve; whereas others who are not sound there very often go back and leave the work. The condition for obtaining God's full blessing is absolute surrender to Him."

I don't really know how much more one can say after reading something like that but I do know that I believe what he says is true.  Absolute surrender to Christ is what every Christian ought to seek for; what Christ desires of every Christian.  Absolute Surrender to Christ in every area of our lives.  To be honest,  it is sometimes easier for me to say I am surrendered to Christ with the whole big scheme of life instead of saying I am surrendered in day to day living.  It's easier to surrender generalities instead of specifics isn't it.  It's hard to surrender our daily habits or thought patterns to Christ; yet that's what He desires of us.  Absolute surrender.

I want to be absolutely surrendered to Christ but I know from personal experience and from what the Scriptures teach that I can't come to that point on my own.  Instead of striving after it in my own strength I have been encouraged and taught to "get down on my knees" and ask God for the ability to surrender myself completely to Him.

I fear that much of the Christian work today is done in our own strength and with our own wisdom and only as we become absolutely surrendered to Christ will we see God's will accomplished as He intends it to be here in our's and in lifetime's to come. 

"Are you ABSOLUTELY SURRENDERED?"

         

1 comment:

  1. word up justin! it's cool reading this after reading the last portion of ephesians 3 with an 8th grader. paul is on his knees praying that we would ask for the holy spirit to give us power.

    ReplyDelete