Monday, May 10, 2010

Blessed to be a Blessing

A couple of weeks ago, our youth group participated in the 30 Hour Famine. For those of who may be unfamiliar with the project, let me briefly explain. Teens (and even adults) raise monetary support from sponsors: parents, teachers, the Schwan's man, grandparents; and then go 30 hours without eating. The money goes to the ministry of World Vision. Our youth group started the Famine at 8 am on Friday morning, and after a grueling day of not eating at school, they gathered together at the Baptist church in town. That night, and into the next day, the teens and adults participated in various activities that caused all of us to consider the magnitude of what we have and how little others have.

Following the Famine, I came home and took a long, hot shower. As I was basking in its gloriousness, I remembered a video we had watched less than 24 hours earlier. The video was about a tribe in Africa, whose water supply was extremely limited and the water they had access to was often filled with bacteria. Feeling slightly guilty about my shower, I turned off the water and thought to myself, "Why, Lord? Why are on earth did you give me so many blessings? Why did you decide to place me here?"

My answer came in the words: "You are blessed to be a blessing". I first heard this phrase in Genesis class with Pastor Franz, and I haven't forgotten them. When the LORD called Abram to up and leave, to go to a place He would show him, He promised: "I will bless you . . . and so you shall be a blessing." (Genesis 12:2) How often do we think like that? I know I don't think of it often enough! Blessed to be a blessing . . . Not blessed to hoard it all to ourselves. Not blessed to bring ourselves comfort. Not blessed to simply have an easy life. We are blessed to be a blessing to those around us - both the saved and the lost.

If the Lord has blessed you with a beautiful singing voice, then you are to bless others by using it for God's glory. If the Lord has blessed you with an ability to work with children, then you are to bless children and their families by pointing them to the Savior. If the Lord has blessed you with an artistic ability, then create beautiful things that glorify Him. "There are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons." (1 Corinthians 12:4-6) May we be found trustworthy stewards of both the material and spiritual blessings the Lord has bestowed upon us!

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear! This was quite an encouraging reminder for me to read today. Thanks Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. word up! if you've got the ability to make people laugh (Sarah ...) use it for God's glory. I would like a report about the use of this ability, due Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Yikes! That's tomorrow, Tim! :) But, thank you; I appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete