Sunday, April 11, 2010

Italian Cream Sodas, please?

Hello! Katelyn Gudim here, I figured I’d start with a few things you should know about me. I loathe coffee. So I guess I don’t fit in around here as well J I love Italian Cream Sodas and long words that nobody uses. I spend hours in nature, I have a life dream to someday fly a kite, and I long to live in a yellow house someday. Now onto other such things…

I grew up in the small town of Rockford, MN with a loving family where we went to Sunday school each week and said our prayers at night. Christ didn’t really have a significant role in my life until we started attending Grace Free Lutheran in Maple Grove; it was there that I first saw people who’s lives looked like that of Christ’s, and it was intriguing. It wasn’t until I was initiated (and by initiated, I mean tortured) into youth group. That was the summer after my sixth grade and we had a “Work Camp” (Okay..so they’re not as mean as I make them sound..) at the AFLBS campus. That week I was amazed as I looked around and saw how everyone seemed to have something that I didn’t, and I couldn’t figure it out. Each day we had a scheduled time to do our daily devotions, and I had never done this before so I wasn’t really sure what to do. I remember sitting on the bed and flipping my Bible open to Romans 10:9 which reads, “If you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved”. That day I decided I would devote my life to following Chris.

After this I quickly realized that I was the only believer in my grade at the public school in town, and none of my friends seemed to want anything to do with God. I was devastated at first, and begged to enroll in a Christian school nearby. When that didn’t happen, God started showing me why He had called me to be a light in a dark place. I spent a lot of time investing in relationships there until my junior year, when I decided to do Post Secondary at North Hennepin Community College. This spring I will be graduating from there with my Associates degree as well as from Rockford high school—pretty sweet if you ask me!

As for my future, all I can say is that I have no idea what God has in store for me. I will be attending AFLBS in the fall (I’m sure this is no shocker to many of you readers!) but that’s as far as I know. My heart’s desire is for children, and I can’t imagine my life without them. I also have a strong passion for Africa and would one day like to perfect my current attempts at learning Swahili. So I suppose I could say my ideal future would consist of working as a teacher or at an orphanage in East Africa— but lately I’ve realized that more important than that I want to be right in the middle of God’s will for my life, and if that’s in the middle of nowhere in America without children, then I will still praise my God because I know He has everything in control. I hope these posts will encourage you to dig deeper in your relationship with our Heavenly Father!

“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

~Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the club, Katelyn. I will forgive you for not liking coffee simply for the belief of my own that you will one day learn to fall in love with what could be the greatest beverage ever known to man. I look forward to seeing what God will have you share.

    ReplyDelete